SSM Health Oklahoma
Perform all of the tests in a single department or majority of the procedures in all areas of the laboratory as required.
- Initiate delegated tasks based on demonstrated competence in performing laboratory activities for patient population served.
- Perform routine and/or complex tests in all areas of the laboratory on complex instrumentation or manually as assigned (e.g. hematology, bacteriology, serology, urinalysis, coagulation, toxicology, RIA, electrophoresis, chemistry, blood bank, HLA, and virology).
- Act as a liaison with other areas of the hospital, the Oklahoma Blood Institute, and other similar organizations to coordinate activities, monitor specimen quality and appropriateness, ensure an adequate blood supply for the hospital, obtain patient information, and report unusual results to appropriate physicians/personnel.
- Establish and monitor quality control programs to ensure proper functioning of instruments, reagents, and procedures. Report failures of quality control and initiate corrective action if necessary.
- Calibrate, standardize, and maintain instruments; prepare reagents, standards, and controls as necessary.
- Validate and report results of tests performed. Alert physicians or medical staff concerning unusual results and offer suggestions concerning additional testing if needed.
- Assist in teaching students and new employees through a variety of teaching methods.
- Actively participate in continuing education and in-service programs in order to maintain and increase expertise in the laboratory.
- Perform other related duties as directed that correspond to the overall function of this position.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Certified as an MT by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) OR Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) by the National Certification Agency for Medical Laboratory Personnel (NCA) OR certification by other nationally recognized certifying agency acceptable to the Laboratory Director obtained within 18 months of hire.
- Current CPR (Heartsaver).
Employees in this position are, or can be, required to possess the
following physical capabilities:
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 20 lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than
5 hours a day.
About SSM St. Anthony's Hospital
St. Anthony Hospital is a 601-bed regional referral facility specializing in cardiology, oncology, surgery and behavioral medicine. The hospital, established in 1898, is located in Midtown Oklahoma City and serves the needs of Central Oklahoma, as well as many counties throughout Oklahoma, through its large rural affiliate network of hospitals. Four St. Anthony Healthplex campuses provide convenient emergency and outpatient service access to the outlying communities of the metropolitan area. St. Anthony added urgent care services in May 2015 at St. Anthony North. St. Anthony has received numerous awards including the Oklahoma Quality Award for Excellence, Certified Healthy Business, Premier QUESTÂ® Award for High-value Healthcare Citation of Merit, among others. Healthsights ranks St. Anthony at performance levels for quality and patient satisfaction higher than local competitors and many national health care organizations.