SSM Health Oklahoma
Under supervision and in collaboration with other mental health care professionals, assist in performing a variety of Center of Behavioral Medicine activities for patients.
- Demonstrate responsibility and accountability for own practice, continuing education, competency and quality. Participate in committees, teams, councils and work groups.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development and proficiency in assessing, treating, and caring for patients according to their age-specific needs.
- Apply knowledge of group dynamics in participating in therapeutic groups and maintaining the milieu.
- Receive patient care assignments from Registered Nurse in charge of unit. Initiate delegated tasks based on demonstrated competence in performing program activities for patient population served. Apprise Registered Nurse of any changes in patient condition, of patient complaints and of patient/significant other educational needs.
- Orient new patients and significant others to the program and prepare patients for discharge and accompany them upon dismissal as indicated. Participate in the orientation of new Mental Health Techs on unit activities and procedures.
- Perform mechanical and manual operation of equipment as recommended in user manual with ability to recognize common mechanical problems and initiate corrective action or notify nurse in charge. Utilize automated processes and clinical information systems appropriately and efficiently. Follow infection control practices for cleaning equipment and spills.
- Maintain and enhance professional clinical skills and remain current in program techniques and technologies as the Mental Health Technician role develops and changes.
- Facilitates and/or participates in assigned or scheduled milieu functions including rehab, therapeutic groups, outings, etc unless reassigned other duties by charge nurse. Assist Therapists and Teachers in groups/school/activities by actively promoting, encouraging, and motivating patient's participation.
- Documents and participates in the program by collecting data for assessment and reassessment in patient record. Documentation is clear, legible and accurately describes any changes in patient condition, treatment progress/goals/interventions and precautions and 8 hour assessments, therapeutic/milieu groups or patient progress notes, and other patient safety documentation duties.
- As delegated, transport patients in a designated hospital vehicle to and from specific program activities. Ensure compliance with hospital, city, and state rules and regulations including an active driver license and annual driving record.
- Perform other related duties as directed that correspond to the overall function of this position.
- Bachelor's degree in Mental Health, Chemical Dependency or related field -or- one year of behavioral rehab group experience -or- successful completion of SAH Mental Health Tech I internal career development program.
- Current CPR (Heartsaver).
- Previous related mental health tech experience preferred.
- Recent experience with ages and specialization served preferred.
Employees in this position are, or can be, required to possess the
following physical capabilities:
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 100lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily
- Standing or walking more than 5 hours a day
- Running to respond to patient emergencies
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than
3 hours a day.
- Visual acuity in order to correctly distinguish skin
tone variations, evidence of IV infiltration, infection; able to read
telemetry, blood pressure gauges, etc.
- Audio acuity in order to correctly distinguish various
body sounds (i.e., respirations, heart tones, bowel sounds).
- Audio acuity to discern sounds made by various types of
machinery or equipment that would indicate dangerous or improper operation
About SSM St. Anthony's Hospital
St. Anthony Hospital is a 601-bed regional referral facility specializing in cardiology, oncology, surgery and behavioral medicine. The hospital, established in 1898, is located in Midtown Oklahoma City and serves the needs of Central Oklahoma, as well as many counties throughout Oklahoma, through its large rural affiliate network of hospitals. Four St. Anthony Healthplex campuses provide convenient emergency and outpatient service access to the outlying communities of the metropolitan area. St. Anthony added urgent care services in May 2015 at St. Anthony North. St. Anthony has received numerous awards including the Oklahoma Quality Award for Excellence, Certified Healthy Business, Premier QUESTÂ® Award for High-value Healthcare Citation of Merit, among others. Healthsights ranks St. Anthony at performance levels for quality and patient satisfaction higher than local competitors and many national health care organizations.