SSM Health Oklahoma
Perform a variety of general receptionist and clerical duties on nursing units. Under supervision of the Director, and in collaboration with other health care professionals, ensure continuous monitoring of cardiac rhythms by observing cardiac monitors; maintain all records and reports of rhythm strips in accordance with the established nursing standards and procedures.
- Answer incoming telephone calls, intercoms, and relay all messages to the appropriate health team member.
- Enter/transcribe physician orders accurately and promptly and immediately notify appropriate staff on any STAT orders. Notify staff and appropriate ancillary department of admissions, transfers and/or discharges. Prepare chart for disposition to Medical Records.
- Maintain current information on the patient location board, organize the patient's medical record, ensure accuracy and completeness of all chart forms; post reports promptly. Maintain computer entry for all admissions, physician orders, discharges, transfers, and deaths.
- Prepare, sort, copy and distribute correspondence, forms, reports, minutes, logs, mails and other documents in a timely, efficient manner.
- Account for all telemetry transmitters at the beginning of each shift. Notify Manager of any transmitters unaccounted for. Maintain transmitter log, the locations of each transmitter (BioMed, Spacelabs, etc.) each shift.
- Assess and provide input to leadership team regarding supply stock levels/equipment in keeping with patient care needs and cost containment. Utilize time and supplies economically and conscientiously.
- Assist with orientation/cross-training of new personnel on the unit. Act as a mentor and/or resource person to new or developing employees. Maintain and enhance arrhythmia analysis skills by participation in education activities. Provide input regarding personal or unit educational needs.
- Handle and operate cardiac monitors, printers, and other equipment properly and carefully as recommended in userâ€™s manual, with the ability to recognize and report wear or malfunction to Biomedical Engineer and Director.
- Operate central monitor/work station and accessories in a competent manner. Utilize varied functions and capabilities of central monitor station equipment by successfully completing orientation checklist. Utilize automated processes and clinical information systems appropriately and efficiently. Assist with general clerical duties as needed.
- Provide immediate information to nursing personnel of change in cardiac monitor status. Notify charge nurse, and follow established policy, if nurse does not immediately place patient back on monitor.
- Perform other related duties as directed that correspond to the overall function of this position.
- Completion of Hospital Basic Arrhythmia Monitor Technician Examination with a score of 80% or greater.
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- Clerical experience and medical terminology knowledge preferred.
Employees in this position are, or can be, required to possess the
following physical capabilities:
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 10 lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily
- Standing or walking more than 5 hours a day
- Running to respond to patient emergencies
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than
5 hours a day.
- Visual acuity in order to correctly distinguish skin
tone variations, evidence of IV infiltration, infection; able to read
telemetry, blood pressure gauges, etc.
- Audio acuity in order to correctly distinguish various
body sounds (i.e., respirations, heart tones, bowel sounds).
- Audio acuity to discern sounds made by various types of
machinery or equipment that would indicate dangerous or improper
About SSM St. Anthony Shawnee Hospital â€“
St. Anthony Shawnee Hospital is a 102-bed acute care facility with approximately 60 physicians and 550 health care professionals that has been serving the health care needs of the Shawnee, Okla. community since 1964. The hospital offers a wide range of services that include cardiology, oncology, surgery, emergency services and urgent care. Formerly known as Unity Health Center, SSM Health finalized an agreement to bring Unity into our system in 2012. St. Anthony Shawnee Hospital offers the community extensive diagnostic services close to home. Additionally, it provides urgent care services in a new location that includes in house lab services and X-ray for the convenience of patients. St. Anthony Shawnee Hospital has been recognized for quality by Press Ganey and the Oklahoma Quality Award, and the hospital is a Certified Healthy Business.